Thursday, February 28, 2008

Oops!

So after doing pretty decently with keeping up, I slacked off big time. Oh well, I have a good reason - Quinn's been sick and Eamon's been the world's biggest monster as he really hits the terrible two's.

Speaking of Eamon and the terrible twos... we're going to request a hearing test and developmental testing. I feel strongly that he has a speech delay, and would rather get him into early intervention to head off potential problems down the road, instead of continuing to wait and hope that he will eventually start to talk. He's almost two, and still has a vocabulary of less than 10 words. We use the point and shriek method of communication more often than not, despite Garry and my insistence that he try to *tell* us what he wants. I'm tired of the constant battles and tantrums because he can't express himself effectively, and I'd feel a lot better having him evaluated and possibly referred for therapy. He's smart, and he has great comprehension skills - you can ask him to do just about anything and he'll understand what you're asking and go do it (if he's in the mood!); it just seems like his brain can't figure out how to get his words out. And invariably, that disconnect leads him into frustration and massive tantrums.

Quinn, on the other hand, is little Mr. Never-shuts-up. He babbles constantly, laughs, coos, grunts - he LOVES the sound of his own voice. I don't remember Eamon being nearly this talkative at Quinn's age. It's hilarious to watch; Quinn has two lovies - a stuffed dinosaur that plays lullabies (thanks, Aunt Sherie - he LOVES it!) and a little soft stuffed green zebra/horse thing - and he will sit in his carseat and jabber away at them endlessly. I love listening to and watching him; it's so adorable.


I'm busy planning Eamon's birthday party - I can't believe that he'll be two in less than three weeks! What happened to my baby?! We're going with a Happy Feet party (I think) as that's his current obsession - he's all about Happy Feet! I can't complain too much - he loves the music in the movie, and he's learned quite a bit about dancing just by watching and listening and trying to mimic the foot movements. I wonder if there are any dance classes for 2 year olds here? Might be worth looking into!

We have Quinn's 4 month check up tomorrow, so I'll post again then on how big the little guy is!

No comments: